Saturday, November 18, 2006

10 things about me

(From a meme from Adri)
1) I adore stationery shops, expecially the ones with art supplies and myriad colours and textures of paper. I could spend hours, and thousands of pounds, in a good one.
2) I am irritated by and feel sad for people who spend their entire journey on public transport glued to their mobile phones. Serial callers who hang up from one call and immediately dial someone else, as though they cannot bear to be alone (or in public) in silence. I don't have a mobile phone, it would interrupt my reading.
3) The best mobile phone ringtone I have ever heard was the very realistic croaking of a frog. I was sure that guy was going to pull a frog out of his bag.
4) I don't pay enough notice to expiration and best before dates. The poet, however, will hunt for the latest date, but this is not about him.
5) I am perturbed by the fact that we only have one original copy of our marriage certificate. I envision scenes at Heathrow Customs, desperately trying to prove that I am married to a British citizen and entitled to live here, even if they took back my indefinite leave to remain visa.
6) I have a hot water bottle at work. I also used to keep one at work in Brisbane, where the semi-tropical climate made me look a real weirdo.
7) I've only been drunk on gin once and I will never touch the stuff again. Too many tears.
8) I started adding raw garlic slices to my sandwiches a couple of weeks ago to combat a nagging cold. Now I can't stop. Sandwiches taste too bland without it.
9) I don't suffer martyrs gladly.
10) I loved calculus at school. Now all I remember is enough to help me work out exchange rates.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) I love stationary shops, too! I could easily spend my life's worth in a good one. It's actually dangerous to the point that I have to stop myself from setting foot in one in the first place, lest I get sucked in.

2) This may sound strange, but I do admire and appreciate your low tolerance for people who are addicted to their cellphones. I remember awhile ago you posted a survey asking how many people we knew without cellphones. I know a few, but I think you might be the only one who purposefully doesn't have one and doesn't want one.

5) After we were married, the boy flew back to New Mexico, and I drove. I gave him one of our marriage certificate copies just in case something happened to me en route. And he lost it! We suspect it's still at his dad's house.

8) Oh, garlic. Ohhhh.

Anonymous said...

That was Adri, by the way! I used to have a Blogger ID, I think, but I can't recall.

Anonymous said...

Here's another one for the stationery shops! I've been a paper fiend since I was old enough to grip a pen.

Also, I have a cell phone, but I almost NEVER use it. I keep it in my car, because I'm on the road a lot and it's come in handy for safety reasons (i.e. blowing a tire at night, checking in with my parents or Matt when I'm traveling), but I rarely use it otherwise. My students think this is very weird.

(And also, I have some catching up to do over here. I like the blog, Anne!)