Friday, February 20, 2009

Dear internet

(or rather, dear lovely kind people who read this blog)

Some advice if you can, please. We are planning to have Matteo's christening in June, if I get my act together and check that the date our preferred priest (who married us) is available tallies with the church availability. So far, so fine. But what to do afterwards? I know it's traditional to have some kind of meal/tea/party, but we seriously do not have room to have people over to our house, even if it is a sunny day and we can corral everyone outside. June days in London can be sunny (our wedding day in 2006 was glorious, as were the few days following), but nothing is guaranteed. Especially not the weather forecast...

Any suggestions? It would be nice not to have to leave the church and that be the end of the celebration. We could book a big table in a restaurant, but we can't afford to pay for everyone, and something more relaxed would suit me better.

Actually, (how satisfying it is when blogging about a problem provides an answer) what I would really like - and I will do this, but may be stymied by the weather - is to have a big picnic in the town park, which is in walking distance from the church. People could BYO blankets to sit on, and a plate of food, we could provide drinks (and we could even buy them en route). Now, that I like.

(But please do make any other suggestions you can think of. Especially if you've ever lived in an English terraced house and wanted to have a party!)

3 comments:

Lissa said...

I was actually going to suggest a recreation area like a park. An area with a gazebo and picnic tables if available.

I really hope the weather is good!

Anonymous said...

There's always the church hall if the weather's bad - just ask the priest...

Rosie
xx

Anne said...

Thanks both. I don't think this church actually has a hall, which is kind of weird and maybe I just haven't seen it. I will find out. M's not keen on a picnic because his mum can't walk very far so wouldn't be able to get into the park, and his brother won't sit on the ground! I was envisaging a very casual affair with blankets but that won't work with his family. I think we may manage to have people here for afternoon tea - especially if the weather is good.