Sunday, January 21, 2007

pod People

We have to do something about the iPod people.

It’s for their own good really. Not only are they driving fellow train, bus and tube passengers barmy by having their music so loud it can be heard by their commuting neighbours despite the noise of the tube/train which is not insignificant, but they’re making themselves deaf, the silly kiddies. And we all know what that means – they’ll be turning the volume up even louder.

I’m not a morning person. I’m a very-small-window -in-the-late-evening person.. Every morning I have to spend around 12 minutes on a train and 15 minutes on the tube. People, I want to sleep! Or close my eyes and listen to ambient noise, not your distorted ‘music.

So, some ideas:

Buses and trucks are speedlimited, why not set maximum volume limits on iPods. Limits set by people who know what volume will damage your hearing. Preferably scientists who like silence.

And! How about headphones that don’t allow sound-leakage i.e. that allow the wearer to listen without anyone around them being subjected to the thumping bass or whiny rhythm of their musical choices.

Or how about some training by iPod users who don’t have the volume up so loud. They do exist.

And while we’re at it, let’s try to tackle.the younger cousin of the iPod person – the young kids who think it’s ok to blast music from their mobile phones wherever they are. Do it on the street if you must but don’t do it on my bus or train please! I’d ask you to turn it down (and I have) but sometimes living in London makes me just a wee bit too perturbed about whether you might be carrying a knife.

No comments: