Friday, August 18, 2006

Pills

Currently a daily intake of:

1 x contraceptive pill – useful but grudgingly taken as prescribed for endometriosis
¼ of a popular antidepressant tablet– and the weaning-off period is going very nicely, thank you for asking
1 x multivitamin
2 x 1000mg evening primrose oil – again with the endometriosis
2 x 1000mg fish oil - brain food
4 x garlic tablets – garlic is GOOD
1 x co-enzyme Q10 – supposed to help with metabolism and tiredness
1 x peppermint oil capsule – you don’t want to know but again I blame the endo

When I remember and can afford to buy them, I also take milk thistle (for my antidepressant-battered liver). And sometimes valerian/lemon balm tablets at night if sleep is elusive.

Then there’s the 3-monthly B12 injection for my mysterious B12 deficiency, diagnosed last year flummoxing the haematologist when tests (go the radioactive B12 and collecting all my urine for 24 hours test!) refused to reveal any reason. I have a sneaking suspicion this is related to my intestines and endometriosis but, as the NHS have usefully given up at the first hurdle, will need to pursue this privately when I have the funds.

The poet used to be bewildered by the number of pills I take. Refreshingly, he now takes far more pills daily than I ever have: a daily regimen of more vitamins, antioxidants and herbal ‘things’ than you could imagine, courtesy of an anti-cancer, metabolic-boosting regimen he’s been on since some dodgy blood tests.

We have a lot of small bottles in our house.

No comments: