Sunday, June 24, 2007

In and around a poet's house, chapter 1


We are not a Buddhist household. (Luckily for me, as last night I stomped about 25 snails. Not without regret and guilt, but it was them or my sunflower seedlings. Frankly, I have had to abandon my friendlier, less murderous practice of throwing snails into the nether regions of the garden because the little bastards keep coming back. Which is why last night at 1am I was confronted by an army of shelled leaf-munchers, of all sizes. And hence the stomping. Today I bought beer baits, but I think the stomping may be kinder than slow dissolving in salty beer - or is that just me?)

So we are not Buddhist. Some of us are. however, dipping our toes into the learning of Kabbalah. But this is ok, because in Kabbalism there is reincarnation, but there is no reincarnation as insects. Unless they just haven't got around to telling me that bit yet?

2 comments:

Marina said...

We always had a few resident thrushes to take care of the snails. Instead, at my parent's house, we have a problem with slugs :\

Cristina Petrucci-Baker said...

The Poets older brother (my daddy) used to be obsessed with killing ants when I was little...the kind that used to climb up his fruit trees and eat his bumper crop of fruit every summer. X