Friday, December 22, 2006

Astoundingly original and imaginative content

Because that's what you come here for, right? I aim to please.

Christmas meme

1. Hot Chocolate or Egg Nog?
Egg nog, but only at Christmas. Gingerbread lattes are preferable.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Well, he doesn’t usually wrap bicycles.

3. Coloured lights on tree/house or white?
White. Small.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
No, kisses aren’t in short supply in our house.

5. When do you put your decorations up?
Well, I wasn’t going to at all this year, but put up our tiny tree on Sunday.

6. What is your favourite Christmas dish?
Roast chicken. But since moving to the UK I have become very partial to mince pies.

7. Favourite Christmas memory?
Sitting around my aunt’s huge country table on their verandah, with the whole extended family, when I was a kid in Australia. The food was endless and the presents were fantastic.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
When I was watching an episode of The Sullivans with my mum at the age of about 12, and two of the adult characters were saying how sad it was that Santa wouldn’t be coming to little Johnny that year. I asked mum why not. We were staying on the Sunshine Coast and she took me for a walk on the beach to explain. I was devastated, and fiercely determined that none of my younger siblings would find out. Actually…. if we were staying at the Sunshine Coast it was probably just before Christmas – what a nightmare time to find out!

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
No.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
I’ve tried to start a tradition of buying one special ornament each year, and I have a couple of ornaments my nephew has given me, but we also have garish tinsel. It’s a cheerful tree.

11. Snow! Love it or dread it?
I wish we would have a white Christmas in London. Snow is still a novelty to me and the only time London looks clean (until people start walking in it).

12.Can you ice skate?
Never tried. My balance is not great so it’s probably just as well.

13. Do you remember your favourite gift?
One year the poet gave me a handmade book of all the poems he’d written for me. It must be time for an updated version! Of course, I think I was more excited the year Santa brought me a Barbie Townhouse, or maybe the Barbie Campervan… or the Barbie Beauty Salon. Those tiny curlers were so cute.

14. What’s the most important thing?
Kindness, and sparing a thought for the original Christmas and those less fortunate.

15. What is your favourite Christmas Dessert?
I hate Christmas pudding. Is there anything else?

16. What is your favourite Christmas tradition?
After Christmas Eve mass, my parents would gather us all around the piano to sing Christmas carols and hymns. I miss that.

17. What tops your tree?
A beautiful red, glittery and feathered bird I bought in Brisbane last year.

18. Which do you prefer: giving or receiving?
Giving is fun. Getting is also fun.

19. What is your favourite Christmas Song?
O Little Town of Bethlehem

20. Candy canes, yuck or yum?
Too sweet!

No comments: